Time to Complete
The department offers Higher National Diploma (HND) certificates to already trained Nurses who are interested in specializing in the field of Public Health Nursing after they have fulfilled the requirements as stipulated by National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) and West African Health Examination Board (WAHEB).
It is concerned with training and producing Public Health Nursing Officers who are capable of planning and implementing Public Healthcare programmes for individuals and communities such as places of work, rural communities, schools and homes.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify the health needs and provide appropriate healthcare in the community.
- Utilize and apply the Nursing process in providing comprehensive healthcare to individuals, facilities and groups in the community.
- Organize community health education activities.
- Collaborate with other stakeholders to promote healthcare services at the community level and the nation at large.
- To effectively promote preventive medicine.
Based on the quality of our instructors, available facilities and infrastructure, our graduates will definitely stand out given any competitive platform.
Being a preventive aspect of Nursing, opportunities abound for Public Health nurses in Public Health oriented local and international health organizations. WHO, UNICEF and UNESCO are some of the few places where Public Health nurses can work.
In addition to five credits passes minimum requirement into schools of Nursing, others include:
- National Diploma or equivalent in Nursing
- Nigerian Registered Nurse (NRN) certificate
- Nigerian Registered Midwife Certificate or Psychiatric Nurse Certificate plus one-year post-qualification experience
- Minimum of one year post-ND work experience
Public Health Nursing in Nigeria is a 4 Semester post-basic Nursing course leading to the award of Higher National Diploma for Public Health (HND). The certificate can be used to attain University Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health, which can be a prerequisite for Masters in Public Health.